Thursday, November 29, 2012

November  29, 2006....
I know, the wrong year is posted.  I am not crazy (no smart remarks here please).  But on this date in 2006, Marty was sent to the ER at the Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn campus from his PCP.  He was at the PCP for a follow up from an Urgent Care visit 3 days prior.  At his point we are thinking "ok, this is more that an upper respiratory infection like the Urgent Care said".  After we arrived at the hospital, it is kind of hard to describe.  Things moved so slowly from the standpoint of Marty needing care immediately, to moving so very quickly that I couldn't keep up with what was being said regarding his health.  At this point, all I could gather was that He was very sick, that he was going to be admitted (and it didn't sink in that he was going to the ICU yet), and that his coloring, which was purple, was getting a deeper shade of purple as time went on.  
He was hooked up to a pulse oximeter (now fondly known just as a pulse ox), heart monitoring machines, blood pressure cuffs, and the obvious.... oxygen.  This was all happening all at the same time by various ER staff.  I heard one nurse say "HIS O2 is 72"  I had no idea what that meant.  Now we both realize that it was bad... anything above 90 is "normal".

He was taken to his room in the ICU.  Room 238. I was asked to leave him while they assessed his condition. An hour later, I was allowed to come back in to his room.   A pretty scarey sight I must say/  I had never seen so much medical equipment attached to one person before in my life. Little did I know how much more equipment  he would be needing the next day.  


As Marty was intubated the  next day, That is when our new reality slapped me in the face.  In some previous posts there is some history and photos of his journey through this.   


So this day holds some very strong emotions for me and as I have related the day to Marty, strong emotions for him as well.  Everytime we pass Scottsdale HealthCare, I can look up and see the window of his room.  I am very thankful for the memories, although some are pretty scarey, I have from him being in that room.  How many people prayed for us, and his healing.  How God used this time in my life to draw me closer to Him.  You have to have faith... 


From this date on November 29th, 2006, our lives were forever changed for the better.  Long struggles with health, but God has been so good to us.  There are so many things that the world would view as lost or impossible in our situation, But we view them as blessings from God.   So in a weird way, This date has become "the first day in the rest of our lives"   Every day is a special occasion, a gift from God.  Use it wisely, and be the best you can.


This Christmas Season, the best gift you can give to everyone is to become an organ donor.  Without this gift given, Marty and countless others have received the gift of life.  Please consider contacting you states Motor Vehicle Department or Donate Life Organization.

No comments: