Sunday, July 28, 2013



 By the grace of God
 Five Years!

Well, I just don't know where to even begin.  There are so many things going on in my thoughts.  First thing,  yesterday was Marty's transplant anniversary date; 5 years.  Seems like just yesterday and then again seem like a life time ago. So much has happened in our lives.  We try to squeeze every bit in. I guess as time goes on, this date and what happened for Marty, is less important to some people, but for us it is a miracle day, a day when Marty was given another chance at living.   I'm not sure what exactly I expect from some family members, but I guess if I don't expect much from them, I won't be disappointed. What I don't understand is how someone can be so close to him as they were being raised; and know that he has been given a gift of life, basically borrowed time(although God knows each day of our lives) and now have nothing to so with him.  I pray each day not only for them, but for myself to not be so angry with that person.  Anyway, now moving forward...

We spent our day as usual, doing our usual things  but with so much more gratitude.  We always think of the family of Marty's donor, but especially more so on July 26th.   I always wonder if they think of how their loved one changed many lives that day because of their decision to be an organ donor.  I wonder how they spend their day.  Marty wrote a letter to the family after his first year anniversary.  He just gave a little bit of information about himself and expressed his sympathy and gratitude.  It is understandable that they did not respond. That is their personal choice.  I would now, let them know that he is living his life and enjoying his life.  That he is doing well with his lungs, and that he tries each day to be kind and loving to people so he can in some way bring honor to their family member.  That we don't do super extraordinary things, but have learned to slow down and appreciate life more fully.  Just some of the things I wish they could know.

 We were going to go out to celebrate, but instead decided to just order some sandwiches and relax at home together.  We were able to reflect on that day, how he got "the call", waiting at the hospital to see if the lungs were a good match, the realization that Marty was so close to dying, and then when the nurses came in and gave him his first Prograf anti rejection pill, then it became reality..this was going to happen. Then he asked me how I felt in the waiting room.  It is strange, but I had a calmness about the whole situation.  I wasn't scared or nervous.  My daughter and son were there and that brought me some peace.   Marty's daughter was there as well.  I was very concerned, but not fearful or scared.  Jeremiah 29:11-13  "11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  God has been with us through this whole journey.  Each step of the way.  Thank you God!

Now a few things on a little lighter note.  Jonathan came to "the desert" to visit us.  His Mom and Dad came too, but stayed at a resort in the area.  Jonathan had so much planned for us to do.  Just like when we were there in May.  Oh my gosh, we played hot wheels, rode the trolly,(Olley the Trolly that is)  went to the skate park, went swimming at the resort, went to Amazing Jakes indoor park, saw The Lone Ranger, went to the Arizona Science Center, and played played played.  What a great time..I am hoping we made lots of memories.  He's just growing up so fast.  One of these days we are hoping to be able to relocate back to Ohio to be closer to our family.  God's timing.
One day earlier this week we took a trip to Walmart to pick up some things.  Like I said earlier, we have learned to slow down and enjoy simpler things, as noted in the picture of Marty and Willie....

So until next time, keep warm, cool, dry, or hopefully get wet(here in Az.)  Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and support..since the first onset of this journey in 2006.
Willie and Marty(the lost brother)



Jonathan and Papa playing Hot Wheels

Getting ready to head back to the airport.











No comments: